Custom Google Search

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Let the Games Begin

I once heard Rav Mordechai Elon share the following idea. At the time I already had planned on going into Chinuch. His beautiful words not only inspired me further, but they also removed many of my fears about the job.

In Parshat Lech Lcha (12:5) the Torah tells us that after Avram received the command of Lech Lcha he immediately took Saray his wife, Lot his nephew, and “Kol HaNefesh Asher Asu V’Charan.” Who was this? Many of the Mefarshim, for example Rashi (DH Asher Asu V’Charan), explain that these were the people who Avram and Saray had successfully been MiKareiv to the ideas of monotheism. The Peirush of Chizkuni on this spot has an unbelievable line. Chizkuni writes “Kan HiTchil Matan Torah,” here begins Matan Torah.

Similarly, there is a Gemara (Sanhedrin 97a) that says that the 6000 years of the world can be split into three sections. The middle 2000 years are referred to as Torah. Rav Elon noted that these years started at this very point of Avraham’s life.

Rav Elon was troubled with these ideas though. Granted, Avraham had a great role in spreading and teaching “Torah” (or whatever it was before the Torah was given), but there were people before him! We know that Sheim and Eiver were Roshei Yeshiva. The Midrashim talk about the Tzidukut of Chanoch and Metushelach. Why didn’t Matan Torah begin with these great scholars? Why don’t the 2000 years labeled as Torah begin with these people? What was it about the Chinuch of Avraham that we consider him the beginning of Matan Torah?

Rav Elon pointed to a Chasam Sofer (Toras Moshe B’Reishit 18:17-18) in order to help us understand. The Psukim there record how Hashem deliberated over whether he should inform Avraham about Sdom’s imminent destruction or not. “HaMiChaseh Ani MeiAvraham,” can I keep this hidden from Avraham? This is a very interesting episode for many reasons. The Chasam Sofer asks why Hashem was hesitant and what subsequently made Hashem change His mind. The Chasam Sofer writes, amazingly, that Hashem felt that Avraham was not on a high enough level to receive this Nevuah. Why is this so? Avraham had spent so much time being MiChaneich and MiKareiv, that his own personal growth was stunted. He should have been on the level, but he sacrificed his own growth in order to influence others. Hashem eventually decides to tell him anyway because He is cognizant of the reasons for Avraham’s shortcomings. The reason Avraham isn’t on the level is because he sacrificed for others. This is what the next Pasuk tells us, “Ki YiDaativ L’maan YiTzaveh Et Banav V’Et Beito Acharav V’Shamiru Derech Hashem LaAsot Tzedakah U’Mishpat,” For I have known him, to the end that he may command his children and his household after him, that they may keep the way of Hashem, to do righteousness and justice.

Rav Elon explained that true Chinuch is only when the MiChaneich is so dedicated that they are even willing to sacrifice (to an extent) their own personal growth in their Avodat Hashem. As they told us in our Semicha classes, “If you want to learn a lot of Torah, be an actuary, not a Rabbi.” We dedicate ourselves wholeheartedly to the cause and lose focus on ourselves to a certain degree. This, Rav Elon, argues is real Chinuch.

This answers our original questions. Real Chinuch only began with Avraham Avinu. While Sheim and Eiver may have been tremendous Roshei Yeshiva they did not have a lasting affect on the people of their generations (the Dor HaMabul and the Dor HaPilaga). Metushelach and Chanoch as well. The 2000 years of Torah only begin with Avraham who is so dedicated that he will even cause himself to lose out. This is where Matan Torah begins.

It’s hard, at times, for me when I think about the amount of learning I do now in comparison to my years in Yeshiva. I find that my Kavanah is lacking when I Daven with students. However, I realize that real Chinuch, real Matan Torah requires this sacrifice.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that the Chatam Sofer says that. HE has another comment along those lines elsewhere. I thinik it is in the hakdamah to his shu"t or something obscure like that, where he explains why Avraham is referred to (I think in a pasuk somewhere) as "Avraham Ohavi". What earned him the distinction of being called God's "ohev"? And he answers that it was his ability to sacrifice his won growth in orderto spread monotheism/Torah. I guess this was an idea that the Chatam Sofer was fond of.
    By the way, though you may not learn as much as in yeshiva, I do find that students ask me questions that I realize I never took the time to ask myself. I can't think of examples, but I think I've experienced this in all areas- machshava, tanach, gemara, and halackha.

    Also- you get the summers off, which is pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete